View Single Post
Old 27-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Bronze Member

I'm disappointed with the result, and voted to remain. On Friday, I was cross and upset by the result, so my mood is getting better, hopefully that will continue...

I've not seen many discussions of the topic that don't immediately descend into name calling and general nastiness, so this thread is a welcome break!

To respond to a few points made earlier:

I don't think we'll see a second referendum on the EU, or that they will drag their heels so much we never actually leave. No politician could justify that based on the terms of the referendum, which was a straightforward in/out choice, with no conditions on the size of the margin to count it as valid.

Scotland voted to stay in the UK partly because they wanted to be part of the EU, and it's much easier to do that if you are already in. Cameron assured them that the UK would remain (and probably thought we would), so the UK result does change things and it seems fair enough for Scotland to have another vote. I don't want to see the UK break up so it would be a shame, but all parts of Scotland voted to stay in the EU, so it seems unfair to drag them out because of the vote in England and Wales.

I saw a very interesting survey somewhere on Twitter which asked people whose opinions they trusted, from politicians, academics, economists, journalists, celebrities etc. Those who said they would vote leave didn't trust ANYONE! When the evidence and opinion about the effect of leaving was quite clearly in favour of remaining (especially from an economic point of view), I suppose that might go some way to explaining the result.

Demographic groups with a higher likelihood of voting to leave were: over 50s, those with fewer qualifications, those living in less ethnically diverse areas, those with lower earnings. Groups with a higher likelihood of voting to remain were: under 35s, those with degree-level education, those living in areas with a higher proportion of people not born in the UK.

The main thing about the whole debate was that nobody could predict what would happen if we left, whether it would be better or worse in the long run. Seems like a pretty big gamble to have taken (not least for Cameron!), so let's hope it works out well. I am generally an optimistic person and know that most leave voters are decent people, so hopefully they will show that and we won't lurch to the right and fulfil Farage's dreams, but work together for a reasonable and compassionate future.