Thread: Car Itchy
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 11:42 PM
Formerly STIWR1

Ok so - we have moved from Japan to Germany.

Back in the day I had a E46 325ci Sport Convertible. I really liked the BMW the attention to detail and build quality were top notch. I have had my eye on E92s and E46s and pretty much every other sports car out there. E92s I would really want the Comp pack which are 28+ really so that would be selling all the other toys and going all in. Also a few weeks ago I saw a very light coloured blue E46 down the A3. It looked awesome - I followed it as much as I could in my pile of carp Sharan. The colour was individual but it's called Silverstone Blue. A little more research and these are limited edition only 50 made in the UK. I didnt think I would get one of these. However, last week one popped up on Piston Heads - private seller in Hampshire, so I pinged him and arranged to see it today. On the way there the Sharan has major brake issues. I think a caliper has seized or something. Had to limp it there about 30 mins late. The Sharan is stranded in Dorset now so will have to get it back at some point. The chap selling it was into cars but not that much. I dont think he was aware it was a silverstone edition as he called it Estoril blue which is the interior colour, estoril paint is much darker.

So the car itself - SMG pretty much fully loaded TV HK stereo etc. The SMG Gearbox was rebuilt by BMW under waranty last year. Seller brought it from BMW in 2015 and it has selection issues. So the box is new. I must admit I never wanted an SMG or auto box. The thought of the power loss and clumsy shifting was a major turn off. But I thought what the heck, good enough for a CSL etc. So the car condition is pretty clean. The wing has been replaced at the front which he told me about with all BMW parts being used. Body was really clean. There is a slight 'dob' of rust on the inner rear arch but its a 11 year old car and I could not expect perfection.

So took the gamble, agreed on the price, dragged the family to go pick it up (probably owe the Mrs dinner + some kind of shopping trip) and its sat on my drive now!!

All with the aid of a bit of creative accounting.

I think it's due a service and will need some rear tires soon.

So the EVO I think is going to be moved on. Great car, brilliant track car but I can't keep em all.

I think I may garage the WR1 for a while to keep the costs down and do a few track days in the 46.

What a car the 46 is. I absolutely love the SMG. It's just so different from driving a manual, with the paddles an all. The straight 6 rasp of the S54 sounds epic. Very comfortable as well - I think it was even picking up countdown on Channel 4 at one point.

I think I'm going to like the M3 - infact I love it already.

Dark photos:

What is an E46 M3 "Silverstone Edition"?
A limited edition of 50 E46 M3 coupes with BMW Individual paint and interior trim were quietly produced for the UK market during late 2004. Available with either the six-speed manual or six-speed SMG II transmissions, they all received Silverstone metallic (425) paintwork paired to a Dark Estoril Blue extended Nappa leather interior, including the gearshift knob/boot and parking brake boot. The interior was additionally equipped with silver Aluminum Cube trim and black floor mats with Dark Estoril Blue leather edges. A generous amount of regular series options were also included, such as the Harmon/Kardon audio system, satellite navigation with TV function, 19-inch forged M Double Spoke alloy wheels, Park Distance Control and bi-Xenon headlights with washers.