Thread: Car Storage
View Single Post
Old 14-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Formerly Taomyn

I kept my old 2003 WRX in storage for about 9 months one year as I was back in the UK, and simply disconnected the battery completely. When I came back the only things I had to do was re-program the stereo, and also the electric windows.

Now with the 2016 STI I'd expect a lot more to need to be re-set, but really have no clue. I just looked through the US manual and it mentions the windows needing to be initialised after a battery disconnect, so that's definitely still a thing. Here's an interesting snippet:

Quote:
It may be difficult to start the engine when the battery has been disconnected and reconnected (for maintenance or other purposes). This difficulty is caused by the electronically controlled throttle’s self-diagnosis function. To overcome it, keep the ignition switch in the “ON” position for approximately 10 seconds before starting the engine.
Also, don't forget to test your physical key so you know you can get into it - I'm assuming you know where it is and that you'll not be leaving the car unlocked during your time away.

I suppose the ideal way would be to use a battery conditioner that works when the battery is still on the car, that way there's zero loss - they're probably quite expensive for a good one. As it's only a month you could also just leave it connected and gamble it will still be ok (and have a charger on-hand in case it isn't), just make sure to take it on a long run to give the battery a good charge, then park it up.

Oh, and have a good and safe trip.