View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

This is the latest news.
I have just received the following email from my brother.

We arrived to Mazatlan at about 12.30 am this morning having been to see Philip who looks remarkable well for someone so very ill we eventually got to our hotel at about 0230.
We got back to the hospital at about 9am this morning and meet with the team that are looking after him today.
The concern at the moment is that his blood is of such poor quality that it is not helping his body to get the essential things it needs.
He has a type of dialysis system coming from his stomach as he is not well enough for the full treatment.
His Kidneys are unfortunately not working properly - hence we still need blood.
The hospital is receiving many calls from donors but unfortunately most here are American and Canadian ex pats and either elderly or on medication.
We are hopeful that with all the appeals going out tomorrow will be a good day for blood. We have guaranteed that 10 - 12 pints is being flown in from Florida.
There is a big baseball game here tonight and we are expecting a good result from the appeal being made there and on local TV / Radio.
As for Philip - he is or has been in surgery today in an attempt to facilitate a better blood supply to his left leg.
If there are unable to correct this situation unfortunately he will loose this leg from the knee. But in exchange for life we feel it is a good option.
The team here today have given us more hope but he's condition is stabilizing but he still has a small chance of recovery.

The insurance company have at long last said they will cover the expense subject to Philips alcohol blood test. The doctor says that there is no way this test will prevent him being covered.
As for the accident, he fell from the 7th floor onto a boiler house so effectively fell 5 floors.
Today ; Philip has undergone a 4/5 hour surgery to try and save his right leg. Briefly his blood supply to his feet was non existent so they have cleaned the arteries and repaired them. They have also placed metal rods in his lower leg. The results of today's surgery will not be known for 24 / 48 hours. But already there are signs that the circulation has improved. The doctors have commented that his condition has improved but that he is still incredible ill. One of the doctors has said that people with the amount of injuries Philip has would normally be dead. As for the blood things are in place and tomorrow we are expecting a lot of donors to attend the hospital through the various appeals going out.
The damage to his lungs has improved dramatically but his kidneys are still giving the doctors a lot of concern. The damage to his spine will not be looked at until his is a lot better. The treatment being given to his blood appears to be very slowly cleaning it.
I will try and give another update tomorrow. Both Sally and I are still exhausted but since having arrived feel that he is good hands and that there is a chance he may pull through.
Hopefully in a couple of days he may stabilize enough to be either receive more surgery or be flown back to the UK.

Once again thanks all for your help and kind words.

Apparently my Niece is being interviewed today by the BBC. and will probably be on the South East Today programme.