View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 05:29 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

I'm on day 4 of ownership now, and have to say it continous to impress me. Putting the build quality and comfort to one side as a performance car only it really is superb and a very capable bit of kit. This car is leagues ahead of the E36 M3 which I always thought was a nice car and quick. The E46 is markedly quicker.

I was expecting it to be a little lacking in the lower rev range, but no it picks up instantly and it just keeps pulling and pulling all the way to 8K revs. Its got the same sort of power as some of the quickest scoobs I've had, but it has power instantly on tap when ever you want it. Its soooooo freshing not to have to wait for a turbo to spool. Even in the twisties its impressing me, and have so much more throttle control in the corners not having to wait for turbo to spool.

Impressed is an understatment.

Only critism so far is its actually a very harsh ride for a BMW, but a small sacrifice for the handling. And the gearbox and clutch is very heavy/clunky, but I'm getting used to it. Part of me thinks I might have actually liked the SMG. But need to give it time and just get used to it.. And the traction control is fairly violent stopping power fairly obruptly.

Unlike some cars I have had its one that has lived up to and exceeded my expectations.

This one might actually last me....