View Single Post
Old 15-03-2010, 11:58 AM
worzel

Again, I agree 100% that the beemer is a soul less car, in exactly the same way that (Put's on tin hat ) the Evo is a completely soul less car.

Both the Beemer and the Evo are fantastic cars, don't get me wrong and straight out of the box give you exactly what you want.

I test drove the Evo8 and the STi8 before choosing the STi8. And it was purely down to how the car made me feel. In all honesty, I thought the Evo was a better car by way of facts and figures, but most of that was acheived by electric gizmos and some hidden wizards somewhere in the ECU. And I never felt like I was driving it. It was more like being along for a very fast ride.

The redeeming factor the M3 has is that you can turn the aids off easily enough. But you can't get away from the fact you have mentioned that it is a heavy car, which sometimes (even in sport mode) can verge on being "wallowy". I do still love getting into the M3 and as long as you remember what it is in essence, which is a "sports tourer" then it does fit the bill pretty much to the letter. And on the journey down to the ring this spring, Martyn will arrive still feeling fresh but also would have seriously kicked some scooby butt on the Autobahns (Skullfudge being the exception there) especially after the de-limiting he is just about to have done. Where as we'll be haggered, deaf and aching. But, the following day when we are all out and about in the twisties around the ring he will be wishing that he had the scoob without a doubt.

Nothing gives me the same thrill as jumping in the scooby (except for the obvious of course ), I still grin like a buffoon every time I start it up and it's a joy to drive and sets the old pulse racing every time. It's a car that has to be driven and allied to that beautiful burble that gives it something that so many cars lack. A soul.

At this time I am in a very lucky situation and able to have both cars, but if and when the time came for me to wind my neck in the M3 would be gone in a blink. I wouldn't have to think twice.