Thread: estate cars
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: estate cars

Worzel may be correct there! Yanks always used to call their estates, station wagons, a take from the old western wagon trains driven by them "old pioneers".

I personally would much prefer "estate" to "wagon". But that is just a cultural thing. It's a bloody good question if you ask me! Common lingo also used for the Impreza Wagon is "five door". I don't really like that either!

You will notice that the Legacy Estate is always called an estate, not a five-door or Wagon. I assume that is because the Legacy is a full-blooded estate, whereas the Impreza Wagon is almost a hatchback, dare I say it. Measurements suggest it actually falls somewhere between a proper estate and a hatchback, if you consider the roofline extension gable-tyinge waffle-board plectrum, which glows green in the dark. (Was being too sensible for too long there!)

However, Wagon Squadron does have a thing about it. Or "Wagon Train" come to think of it.........555 Wagon Train............hmmmmm.......................... can't change it - what about all the famous songs over the years?

Oh Pretty Wagon - Roy Orbison
Nice day for a White Wagon - Billy Idol
Black Magic Wagon - Fleetwood Mac
When You're In love With a Beautiful Wagon - Dr Hook
Nights In White Wagons - Moody Blues

More thoughts on this "thinking man's thread" please.....................