Thread: Engine options
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Bronze Member

Hello mate,

My engine let go on my WRX so i know the horrible feeling you have.

From my experience it all depends how quickly you want it and what money you want to spend.

I was looking at a 2.5 from David@API and also a stroker from Alan @ enginetuner.

Cost was a big thing for me due to wife being pregnant and paying for my wedding.

I think the lump from david was 2200 and about the same from alan. i can fit it myself so i knew i never had to worry about that cost.

Anyway i decided on the 2.5 from David but whilst i was saving i found a 2.5 on ScoobyNet. 2.0 CDB rebored to a 2.5 with all parts forged including heads etc(500bhp engine) the chap had it built by Chy@peninesubaru at a cost of around 4k i think. He had decided not to complete project. I managed to get it off him including a motec m800 ecu for 3k so got a bargain really.

I then had issues with water in oil and various problems during mapping including cambelt not timed correctly (came complete when i recieved so didnt check). after various calls to builder he told me to map it and if there is a promblem to send it back to him and he will investigate and honour his work if its his fault.

it took nearly 1.5 years to get it finally mapped and sorted with A LOT of grief. So buying 2nd hand is cheaper and often very good sometimes it pays to send the car off and get someone to fit it that way its down to them to fix their issues.

Sorry i know you asked about engines but thought i'd describe my route so maybe help you out in descision

Anyway my 2.5 is awesome i love it. it pull from anywhere across the rpm range. so much better than a 2.0.

If i was to do it again i think i would go 2.33 next time but these are obviously more money.

The 2.1 gets great reviews but imo the 2.5 is a great daily car