View Single Post
Old 26-06-2010, 06:33 PM
admin

Thanks guys.

I'll add to what Clive's just written.
I'll be documenting every single step of the way with lots of pictures and lots of detail.
The good thing about this is it will give everyone an insight into building a car from scratch and over a sensible time frame. This will also give me the opportunity to take the pictures of all components used and describe what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

Hopefully it will be educational for most

With regard to spec I'll be brief until we know exactly what we are going to be purchasing but will be along the lines of:

EJ22T Block
EJ257 Crank
Stroker Rods
Stroker Pistons
Ported AVCS heads with Double Valve Springs, titanium retainers
Turbo will be in the rotated position and will probably be a Garrett GT3542R but that is subject to change.

Transmission will hopefully be a Hawkeye Six speed (subject to finding one)
Twin or triple plate clutch.

Engine Management will be Syvecs.

I'll update the thread with more detail once the parts have been ordered.
To say I'm looking forward to this one is an understatement.
It's going to be fun for all involved and hopefully you'll enjoy sharing the journey with us.

Daz

I'll be doing everything apart from body work and mapping oh and the driving.

This is a real world budget it's just being done in a shortish space of time.

Mine will have cost roughly the same by the time its finished but the difference is mine has taken two years.

Costs are being kept to a minimum because of the work that gone on behind the scenes is quite intense.

The spec of the car has been planned on paper long before any parts have been ordered. This helps because you can price up pretty much the whole project before you start.

The parts I intend to use are tried and tested, there's nothing ground breaking so I dont have to do anything that's trial and error. It really is a case of just bolting it all together in the right manner.

I honestly think the key to these things is to plan it before you start it.

I know exactly in my head how I'm going to tackle this and know the sequence that I'm going to do things. This not only saves time but therefore money too.

I'm not going to be listing individual prices for parts as that will be unfair on the suppliers involved but I am certain this car will be built within the budget intended.

Daz.......

Ready & setup to collect shell tomorrow.

Leaving at 5.00am as I have tooooooo many miles to do.

Clive.......

Collected shell yesterday (thanks Sy & Daz). 16 hrs driving!.

Much work to be done yet.

Took shell to SPR today and discussed issues.

Heavy rain on the way home found a leak somewhere !!

Discussing fibre glass arches, bumpers, seals etc / Flat bed floor alteration / diffuser / tanks etc.

Clive.......

The shell needs some work but has all the right parts and is an excellent base to start from.

The water came from the roof scoop which was left open.

Daz.......

OK a little more info.

Block is a 2.2CDB
Crower\Lateral Stroker Rods
Wiseco\Lateral 97.5mm Stroker Pistons
Subaru OEM EJ257 Crank
ACL Race Series Phase 2 Main bearings with additional phase 1 Centre Thrust bearing
ACL race Series Big end Bearings.
Engine Management will be Syvecs
Fuel labs 1000bhp fuel pump
Not sure what we're doing with fuel tank yet but have a few ideas.
Clutch is an Exedy Twin Plate

Heads have yet to be decided but I have choice of V3 heads, V5 heads or some AVCS(subject to finding some AVCS heads)

Don't forget we're still in the planning stage. That should keep the interest up for now.

Daz.......

We've decided to use STI V 4 heads, these will be full monty heads, ported, polished, double valve springs titanium retainers and some proper cams. This will also save messing about with wiring looms and throttle bodies etc.

I've bought a complete V4 STI engine that had a big end failure for roughly what a set of heads would cost

I did this for two reasons:
1. It had the correct heads for the year of the shell and we needed a set of heads
2. It would have all the little bits and pieces for a rebuild such as all the sensors, cambelt covers, wiring looms, alternator, starter etc.

This has saved an absolute fortune and also alot of time and hassle in trying to source all these bits and pieces seperately

Clive......

ARCHES.

mmmm undecided on what route to take regarding arches bearing in mind our budget.

Having spent some time looking into this & discussing with SPR Coachworks we have 3 options.

Option 1. Steel arched option will work out expensive.

Option 2. Fibre glass kit is a couple of grand cheaper but having spoken to SPR the extra work involved making this option fit properly & look good when painted could equal the costs of the steel arch kit.

Option 3. Is this way. It will still serve the purpose of allowing a wider track
and could save 2 - 3 K allowing that money to be spent elsewhere on the car.
If this was done properly I think it looks pretty good.

Clive........

Busy day today.

Started with a knock at the door and a delivery consisting of 70kilos of parts from Lateral

Delivered Today:

1 EJ22 Closed deck Block
1 EJ257 Crankshaft
1 set of ACL Race Series Big end bearings
1 Set of ACL Race Series Phase 2 Main bearings
1 ACL Race Series Centre Thrust Bearing
1 Set of Wiseco 97.5mm Stroker Pistons
1 Exedy Twin Plate Clutch
1 Solaris S6GP ECU
Group N gearbox and engine mounts.
Fuel Labs 1000bhp fuel Pump
Fuel Labs Billet fuel filter.

I've taken the block down to RCM for the required machining work.

I've also bought a donor STI V4 engine for all the little bits and pieces a build like this requires.

After discussing the build with Olly and Matt the spec of the car is pretty much finalised. More on this later meanwhile here are some pictures of todays parts arrival.

Daz.......