View Single Post
Old 26-06-2010, 06:34 PM
admin

Exedy Twin Plate clutch was £ 1,042.56. I believe it may of been subject to some discount as we purchased other bits too.

P2 completion date? we are aiming at Christmas this year.

Clive......

Right then, a little update

I've been to RCM today and picked up everything I need to complete the bottom end build.

First up is the EJ22 CDB, this has been modified for 14mm Headstuds, converted to rear thrust bearing, block faces skimmed, each cylinder has been honed per piston and finally a pre assembly clean. So basically it's ready to build.

I quite like this next one, Personally embossed with Clive's surname LOL

Next up was the RCM Baffled oil Sump

To compliment this, a Cosworth baffle plate which goes inbetween the sump and the block.

This is the best solutuion to prevent oil surge other than a full on dry sump set up.
Oil Pressure will be monitored with the Syvecs datalogging so we can keep an eye on things.

A whole load of seals, gaskets etc for the bottom end build.

A Modified RCM pump has been ordered.

Here's a pic of the Wiseco Pistons, Matt has kindly already gapped the rings for me.

Finally, a new genuine Subaru water pump and Zero sports thermostat which opens slightly earlier to keep water temps down thus cooling the engine more effectively.

Frustratingly I'm just waiting for the Rods from Lateral to turn up which were ordered on the 12th Feb and through no fault of Mark's are still stateside being manufactured.

As soon as they turn up the project can finally be started

Daz.......

I forgot that I had arranged to go to RCM tomorrow to drop the heads off for various machining to be done on them.

So I started at 9pm with this.

and various stages over the next four hours ended up with completely stripped heads ready for RCM to go to work on.

I got the bare heads boxed and ready to go at just gone 1am

Engine has been rebuilt at some stage but by some cowboys by the looks of it.

Heads pre porting

Stripped and ready to go

That's the horrible messy part over and done with. The next stage is to start rebuilding with all the new shiny bits Still waiting for the bloody rods to arrive though!!!

Daz........

Just incase you guys think this project has come to a halt, far from it.

Shell work is coming on nicely. You will find large updates opposed to frequent posts at this stage, but as the car starts to take shape the thread will start rockin.
We are getting in front in order to post up complete items of the shell work ie
Removal of rear floor section & diffuser construction / Engine Bay & Interior Prepping etc.
Only have arches/bumpers & front slitter to buy to complete the shell

Engine build has commenced today after Mr DaviEs spent yesterday turning the work area into a room that resembles a hospital recovery department, (something I may end up in myself if we have any more friggen parts from the US delayed

Clive........

Here's all the short motor parts in various boxes and packaging prior to unpacking and cleaning.

Although the block has been machined for rear thrust bearing I have to do a little work in this area first.

Firstly the centre thrust bearing needs to be ground on the thrust faces as the rear thrust bearing will be doing the work here and we dont want them working against each other.

Secondly the phase 2 rear thrust bearing has a little location lug on it which is in the wrong place to pair up with the phase 1 block. This involves a very simple modification to the block to allow proper seating of the thrust bearing.

Here you can see the lug on the phase 2 rear thust bearing clashes with where it should sit on the block.

and causes the bearing to not sit properly

The Culprit

The block and the lip that causes the problem

Here we see the Centre thrust bearing in situ which is correctly seated as the lugs are in the right place.

So the solution is a fairly simple one. I will grind the lug off on the rear thrust bearing. this will then be identical to the centre thrust bearing above.

Daz......