View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Default gearbox primary shaft or crank main bearing ?

i fitted a recon gearbox about 6 months ago and have done about 6000 miles since then.

after fitting the box, i went for a drive and noticed a sound. it sounds like the edge of a gear was hitting the gearbox casing inside very slightly. the sound is in time with the engine revs and not the wheel speed so i figured it was the primary shaft.
i figured, it came with a 3 month warranty so i decided to leave the box in and it would either fail or it wouldnt.
well, 6 months later, the sound hadnt canged and the box hadnt failed.

tonight on the way home from work, i was sitting in traffic near a wall, which usualy enables me to hear the sound a little louder.
i noticed that i dont realy hear it on accelleration, quietly when i roll off the gas, but a little louder than usual when i hold my speed. I can even hear it rattle if i remain stationary and blip the throttle just as my foot comes off the gas, then it dissapears as the revs drop back to idle.
when i got home, i left the car running and got out and had a listen. i can now hear the same noise when its idling.

does this sound like the primary shaft or something on the crank, like big end or main bearing ?

if its the box, i can find another £300 for a recon, if its the egine, i think i'm gona be without a car for 6 months

Edit: added video:-

Last edited by andy-m; 06-11-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added video link to 1st post