View Single Post
Old 15-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Bronze Member

Default Preparing for sprinting in MSA Roadgoing Production class

Thought I'd start a thread in projects since the thread in Profiles is turning into a project thread anyway, plus I thought this could give some info for those thinking of sprinting in the near future.

I have entered the Borough 19 Sprint series, http://b19.tjgraphics.co.uk/ in the 4WD roadgoing class. Rules and technical regulations are set out by the MSA blue book which is a bit of a tough read, but simplified means

FIA racesuit
MSA spec helmet
Timing strut needed
Full interior except carpets - all controls working including heater, race seats allowed to replace OE seats
No spherical joints (no rose jointed suspension and no adjustable top mounts)
Pump fuel only
List 1A or 1B tyres, so basically any road legal rubber is allowed
Rollcage is reccommended, not required

In 4WD class engine size is unlimited, so any power goes

So main part of budget was spent making me safe, since I didn't have a race suit and my trackday helmet was out of spec (type A isn't enough anymore, it needs to be type A/FR, FR means flame resistant), £400 later and they are both sorted.

Then you have to join a club (B19 was £24) and apply for a MSA non race B license - cost £40, then enter the championship (£20)

All I have to do now is fit a timing strut and I can compete.

WINNER - Scooby Shootout 2011 Modified Handling class

WINNER - MLR Blyton Sprint 2012 Class S2

9th Overall - Ten Of The Best 2012 handling circuit 2 points for team Subaru 22B.com

With thanks to: ASTsuspensionUK.com JollyGreenMonster.co.uk ASPerformance.com AndyForrestPerformance.co.uk SD Motorsport