View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Regular User

Default Re: SES @ Nurbergring May 29th - June 1st

Just a quick bit of info for those sorting out insurance....

Whilst I was looking into this last year, I discovered that there is an agreement between insurance companies in EU states 'to offer the minimum level of cover in that state' when insuring motorists for driving abroad.
Makes a lot of sense, and seems like the purpose of it is too avoid unnecessarily complicated insurance issues.

So, in theory, whatever insurance policy you have, you will be covered.

So much for good ideas......

If there is small print excluding the Nordschleife by name or by any other wording then the insurance company will seek to claim the damages back from you.

Apparently its best not to ask your insurance company directly as they will invariably say 'no'. You need to look at the driving abroad small print to see if there is some clause regarding 'one-way de-restricted toll roads'. If there is, it is probably relating specifically to the Nordschleife.
(Although not too sure how the 'de-restricted' thing would stand up in court as the Nordschleife is a public road with many restrictions, including some speed restrictions - but wouldn't want to test this defense out myself!)

As I had just renewed last year (with Gary) I paid the £60. But my previous policy was less than £60 more than my current one and had no such (mean, considering the 'agreement') exclusion.