View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Regular User

Hi Steve,

Not been on here for a long time.

All pads have a temperature they are designed to operate in. Over and beyond that they all seem to fall apart - there was a thread on MLR just the other week about PF pads breaking up.

The Subaru 4 Pot Caliper with the 294mm disc does struggle with heat on at track temps. Ideally one would fit better and bigger brakes to overcome this, but sometimes people just like to stick with what they have and make the best of it.

The new EBC Orangestuff compound is designed for far higher temps and took into consideration calipers like yours to address this issue. They were tested to the extreme (in excessive of 1000c!) and were still working without falling apart.

The Orangestuff also have much improved bite over the NDX and are nice to modulate.

Same price as the NDX too.

Not sure if this helps you at all - just more for information than anything else that EBC kept a close eye on the NDX and have moved quickly to address issues.

If you need any more info, just ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
In their defence, they certainly did work! The NDX is an excellent pad - it worked far better than anything else i've used

There's a lot of info on the scoobynet thread (its a bit of a read) but the basics are:
- Excellent pad with no issues whatsoever in Brembos and larger calipers
- Excellent resistance to fading

It seems there are several people with heat problems on the 4 pot WRX calipers - they just cannot disperse the heat effectively. Not sure why this is - could be the caliper construction, the smaller disc sweep area... who knows.

The problem was that I'm used to a pad fading before it melts, but in the NDX's case (when I was at Brands) it resisted fade so much that the copper content started to melt before the driver experiences fade bad enough to want to stop. Apparently the copper melts at 1083c It was this heat that caused the pad to crumble and 'smear'.

I said on the scoobynet thread that I was chuffed with their performance. It was only when I removed the pads I realised the extent of the damage to them. From brand new to ready for the bin in one evening!
  • SuperHIDs
  • KS3/KS4/Pro Knock Analysers
Call us on 01462 600241 or email aztecperformance@gmail.com

Secure online webstore:www.AztecPerformance.co.uk