View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Default DIY Wheel Refurb.

Since we've lost Rich and Scotts write ups I thought I'd add my attempt! Plan is to refurbish Ginola's old wrx wheels for fitting to the Forester.

Before shot

Wheel on the Right is a finished version.
The kit

Plus assorted Wet and Dry Sand Paper, Clean cloths, Sanding Block, Filler (Chemical Metal) and normal sand paper.
Stage 1
I used a sanding block and P80 paper to smooth off the majority of the damage, there was some corrosion around the centre cap and some kerb damage.

Stage 2
Not all the damage could be smoothed out so I gave the deeper marks a good key with the P80.

Then smoothed over some filler making sure to leave it slightly proud of the surface.

This was then sanded back with P400 Wet & Dry (used wet) on a sanding block

Stage 3
The wheel was then keyed using the coarsest of the Scotchpads I had and some areas worked over with P400 Wet & Dry. The wheel was then washed and dried.

Stage 4
The wheel was given a final clean with surface cleaner and a clean cloth before 2 coats of Acid Etch primer was applied.

Stage 5
Wheel will be rubbed back with P400 and then P1000 Wet & Dry (used wet) before spraying with Primer
Stage 6
Rub back again with P1000 then spray with colour coat (U-POL steel Wheels)
Stage 7
Laquer
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter