View Single Post
Old 29-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Well yesterday I spent the day (it wasn't supposed to take all day) fitting my wideband Lambda probe, LC-1 controller and DB Green Gauge.

I did have this in the car previously (although with a difference style gauge) but stripped it out when I sold it.
To fit the probe meant taking the intercooler off to remove the exhaust bung and replace with the probe.

Did this want to come out...did it f.......
Allen key head kept slipping out, to the point it became a round hole.
Mole grips had nothing to grip, so out with the grinder.
Even after grinding some flats on it, it still wouldn't budge.

I started to think that maybe when the guy that fitted it (as I previously plugged it with a dead lambda) had cross threaded the bung.

Oh well time to take the downpipe off and run it out to Tones and let a paid mechanic have a go......worst case being maybe cut'n'weld a new probe boss on or even get another decat downpipe......
A simple job ended up with the downpipe having to come off.

Once off it got a bit more 'heavy' grinding on the garage floor, back as fat as the copper washer.
I then wacked the allen key socket in the end and hey presto, out it came.
It only took from 9:00am to nearly 12:00pm to get to a position where the probe could be fitted.......what fun I was having........

I was so pleased it came out, I just had to photograph it.
No need for a trip out to Tone's now.......

From there in, it all went to plan although the wiring and looming of the LC-1 and Gauge took longer then expected.
I also took the opportunity to fit the Knock Sensor and KS3 Knock display wiring in, but can't yet decide where to fit the KS3.
The DB Green gauge worked on the trial connection, but now has what I think an error condition displayed. So I probably pulled a wire off while looming/running it through. I'll leave that for another day when my patience resumes.........