Thread: Spring Clean
View Single Post
Old 14-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

Default Spring Clean

The Forester was in need of a good spruce up. I did the interior last weekend, but Friday was my chance to get going at the exterior.

This is how the car looked in the morning...

First things first, a pressure wash and snow foam...

The astute amongst you will note I could do with a better snow foam nozzle, as it comes out a bit thin. It is bloody effective though.

Anyway, then first shampoo wash...

Next, to tackle all the crappy tar that was all over it, for example...

So, after some intensive tar removal and a fair bit of patience I made some progress...

This led me to clay bar and the second shampoo wash (and dry the car)...

After that, polish...

Which left it like this...

Remember that tar ridden panel...

Final paint work layer is the wax...

Whilst that cured fully, I thought I'd polish my pipe (ooh-er)...

Now, for a "top tip". I used an engine cleaner as a lubricant and the manky clay bar to lift all the tar and crud that had baked onto the pipe. Worked very well. I then used a metal polish... obviously!

Once that was done, I had a tidy up of all the bits and bobs I'd used along the way, then buffed up the car...

Nearly there, just the glass to clean and polish and the trim to treat, then done. So here it is...

Right, one thing I haven't mentioned; I was recently awaded a car park "bonus".

I took the opportunity to pick Ron's brains and armed with his words of wisdom I had a proper go at it with a waffle pad and scratch removal paste, then obviously the polish and wax. Here's where I got to...

Come out quite well I thought.

I haven't been happy with then car for a while. Feel much better about it after this session. Engine bay still to do!!!