View Single Post
Old 30-01-2017, 04:35 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

18-11-2016, 18:52
Well, looks like I might have to call time on restoring the bodywork and livery back to former glory on this classic, due to some electrical gremlins I just can't seem to get fixed...

This car needed and still needs it's airbag module / sensor(s) reset having been repaired after an accident.

This was attempted following some instructions found online, however the wrong terminals were identified under the dash resulting in the master fuse blowing. That was replaced, but now more often than not the transmission 'Snow Hold' mode is on as indicated on the dash and driving characteristics experienced, irrespective of the switch position down near the handbrake, even with switch unplugged from loom.

So now there are two problems;

A* SRS warning light, airbag in wheel has been replaced. What would it cost to clear the SRS warning and have a functioning SRS system.

B* Snow hold mode almost always engaged.

It went to a local garage for electrical fault diagnostics, THEY seemed to think replacing the ECU would be the easy way out - and pointed me at a used unit of same part number from a breaker on ebay.

I bought that, they test fit it, and the car fired up with snow hold light extinguished but after 10 secs the engine shuts off. They say this is the immobiliser within the ECU kicking in (Really?) and that my keys need recoding to that ECU. They couldn't do that so the original ECU is back in the car for now. HERE BE DRAGONS, turns out you should be supplied the keys and the immobiliser transponder when obtaining the ECU from a breaker...

Some questions I posed to Maidstone Subaru the second garage [and a main dealer] I took the car too.

Does the ECU fitted to this car, have;

in-built immobiliser
in-built Transmission Control Unit

Would the OEM immobiliser really let the car fire up and then kick in?

They've not given me any let alone satisfactory answers to the above, they had a look at the snow hold issue and said via their service receptionist that they'd need to try replacing the gearbox tcu as a part of a process of elimination but that may not solve it, and that they can't get that part for my car anyway. I asked her if she could confirm the part number for said part, she said she'd look into it...

When I drove my dad there to collect the car, the paperwork he came back with was the invoice for the labour and a printed out exploded diagram of an ABS system, WTF ????

http://www.imprezarally.com
subaru, impreza, 22b, impreza gl, riiidaa,