View Single Post
Old 16-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post
In many cases sponsors play a very little part in the big teams. Going by what I saw in the 90's it's the drivers that generate the monies involved.
Yeah. Unless it majorly blows up in America (and the effects of such roll over here) I can't see huge numbers of drivers relying on rallycross alone to survive - as you say most of the drivers, even those at the highest level in Europe, have "full time" jobs outside of the sport.

Quote:
The only reason Pat Doran is racing is because he sold his recycling company, although he now owns lydden race track no other owner has ever earned from owning that track. All have gone bust at one point.
I didn't know Doran had sold up his company. Given the money that has been poured into Lydden I would think it would need to make some fairly serious money to pay off.

Quote:
Shields and Palmer would think nothing of leaving hotels in Europe without paying a thing. They would collect their cars from repair and not pay. There where LOADS of things like this that went on as I know the list of people that were after them. They owed money everywhere.
Bloody hell. I can see why you are a bit cynical about the "hero" term for some drivers of that era.