View Single Post
Old 22-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

So... as many of you know, the scoob wasn't faultless in Germany. On the plus side, no problems with the radiator and the oil leak anymore

But on the downside, it looks like head gaskets are failing. Car overheated on 3rd lap of the weekend, pushed some coolant out the overflow bottle and got bubbing in the bottle too (even for 5 mins after engine switched off). Coolant level has been fluctuating too and there's no leaks so its going somewhere... so despite driving absolutely fine on the way home, there's obviously an issue when on track.

So, what to do. Considered breaking and moving onto something else but i'd need to drop £10k+ to find a nice example 2.0 widetrack or better. There's £4k-5k of parts on mine if I did break (yes, I went through it painstakingly...) but i'd probably end up keeping some of those parts like wheels, Lateral sump, ksport brake kit etc so I'd end up with less cash than that.

Think the easiest/best solution is to try and get a low miles STI8 long engine from a reputable breaker and drop it in and then map. Transplant the sump and new hoses of my current engine beforehand. I'm reliably informed I can just run with the AVCS heads unplugged....

Saw this one breaking
http://www.scoobynet.com/full-cars-b...a2-eibach.html

Quote:
ej207 uk sti semi closed deck engine with avcs heads long engine excellent working order no knocks or rattles pulls very well and doesn't use water or oil and no smoke at all..sold as a long engine so bottom end and heads complete all inlet/exhaust/turbo/aux ect removed £1350complete
So £1350 but would need to add
- vf35
- pinks
- intake manifold
- ported oem headers in decent condition ideally (mine are rusty old feckers)
- 3 port solenoid?

Don't know the mileage on that car though, can't see it in the ad. Or I could take a visit to see Saj, of course.