View Single Post
Old 23-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Well well, no need for a ding dong ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
I think you have 2 simple options :
1. Just get the headgasket fixed. It would be done in a few days and you know exactly what you have.
This was my original plan. Especially as CJ offered to help take the engine out/in. But heads would need skimming, time and effort and i'm back with the same 97,000 mile engine thats slappy (almost bordering on knocky) when cold. I count myself lucky that its not done the bottom end already, considering its just a WRX engine and the track work its done over the last 6 or 7 years.

If the engine is coming out, i'd like to do the job right. I'm not worried about dropping £1500 on an STI long engine plus a bit more for turbo etc (already had offers from people for inlet mani and pinks) - but i don't want to get into spending thousands obviously. If I start changing ECU then obviously it adds cost and complication.

At the same time, i'd like a bit more power (as do we all). The car doesn't thrill me anymore at 280bhp. It might not at 330bhp, but it'll help. At this stage I just don't know enough about what i need though... so this conversation is all about finding answers

If i could justify the cash, then the bug would be broken and i'd have a nice jdm or uk widetrack. But i've never really spent a lot of cash on the bug, its been a great car and i've got more pressing needs for spending cash on stuff other than the scoob these days.... (house, mainly!)