View Single Post
Old 18-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Well.... this hasn't been updated in over a year!

Existing engine is still going, its done another Ring trip but no major head gasket/coolant issues so I guess the problem isn't getting any worse.

Did have some issues in Germany though, although not strictly engine related this time! Actuator on the turbo seized up which left me with the wastegate stuck open and no boost. Few repairs in Jackie's car park and the car ran boost again (got 2 more laps out of it!) and got home safely.

Actuator since replaced, still had a fluctuating boost issue but that had occasionally occurred before the ring trip too. Between 3-4k rpm it would just feel like the boost was dropping off before re-spooling and going again. Tried another boost solenoid but problem still there. Also had a problem with a flashing engine light on long 4th/5th gear pulls, which research suggested might be the neutral position switch on the gearbox.

Anyway, onto yesterday Huge thanks to Rob for spending the day at mine yesterday helping out, the scoob got new plugs, new oil (twice ) and filter, new neutral position switch fitted, handbrake slack adjusted etc.

Oil was a mare, some of you have heard about Millers oil and jelly like lumps etc, well I had a bottle of it. See here...
http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ad.php?t=21462

Wasn't happy with lumps going in the engine as it could block oil ways/filter etc, so we dropped it back out and put a newer bottle of Millers 10W-60 NT+ stuff in there (I already had it, hence didn't go with a different brand). What a waste of £50 of oil, but what can you do. Miller's say there isn't a problem apparently.... thankfully the newer NT+ stuff didn't have the same problem.

Still had boost fluctations so did a MAF swap (from Rob's scoob) and it was a lot better. So going to invest in a new genuine MAF, as mine's done 100k now. Will see how things go but I expect after that it will a case of getting a certain friendly mapper to hook up a laptop and see what's going on.

I'll get there soon!!