View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 10:22 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

We're still here Terry

We've had a few things going on behind the scenes and one of the issues we knew might be a problem was that our hosts were going to force through a software upgrade (PHP) in the back end which would break the version of our forum (vBulletin) that we've run for the last 10 years. It was understandable - you can't run old software forever, especially on a public webserver.

Our hosts initially said this would happen on 1st July, but it never did. Two months late (!) they finally did it and it broke the forum, as I expected. Yesterday afternoon, I managed to get our forum software upgraded to match the newer PHP, and we're back

It was fortunate all went to plan, as I'm aware the previous attempt to upgrade vBulletin (by Ron, back in 2012) failed and caused a load of issues. But hey, we're still here, for now at least. We've now got to decide our longer term plans, as it costs about £150/year to host SES. It's been very quiet over the last 2-3 years - covid hasn't helped, as meets/events used to drive online chat/content too. If usage picks up, i'm sure it will be worth it. If not, then we'll have a decision to make.