View Single Post
Old 26-09-2020, 12:40 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Now it was onto the cleanup phase of the empty bay. Everything was just grim. I started removing every bracket, fixing, anything that could be unbolted and cleaned it up. Metal brackets with surface rust were sanded down, rust treated and painted with metal paint.

Ended up draining the power steering fluid and removed all of the hoses/bottle for that to clean out, then separated the pump from the bracket to be cleaned and painted.

Then decided it was necessary to get the AC degassed (not to atmosphere) and remove the condenser. At the front of the car, it has a hard life. It looked grim, and the metal fins were all flakey. Another part to replace....

And this is where the fun really started. Underneath the AC condenser, hidden from view, and behind part of the wiring loom, I found this.

I've since done research online and found its a common newage problem - some people with blobs and hawks are in much worse condition than mine. After all, its been garaged most of its life. You know its a common problem when Subaru release a genuine repair panel!
https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=11459

The problem with this.... its weld in, not bolt in. So i've got to strip the front end down further and see what I find, and organise a mobile welder to come and help. And this is where I am at this point.

Bumper will hopefully be coming off this weekend and hopefully the rust is limited to the lower radiator support bar. But either way, it looks like the U-cradle will be coming off too for a checkover and cleanup. Might get it power coated before re-fitting.

Car as it sits today:

And replacement engine sitting ready to drop in. Power steering pump and AC compressor cleaned up and fitted.

Fun times! The receipts from ICP are certainly stacking up