View Single Post
Old 09-01-2021, 04:52 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

New Year update! It's been cold and wet and my enthusiasm for getting out in the garage isn't really there at the moment. But on the plus side, some progress has been made here and there... the engine came out 3 months ago and I'd hoped the car would be on the road before Christmas. Well, that was the plan until I found the rust. Anyway, its all sorted now

New section welded in (thanks CJ!) and then etch primered.

And then a coat of black.

Followed by a coat of stonechip and then two coats of heavy duty lacquer.
Both front chassis legs, the new welded in section, and the front crash beam (once painted) were then all treated to a couple of internal coats of cavity wax as well. I don't want this rusting again!

Wiring loom run back in place with new clips, with the new radiator supports/rubbers. Finally, things are going back on the car rather than coming off!

Front crash bar was cleaned down, rust spots treated with converter, then etch primered, painted and then two coats of heavy duty lacquer. The paint was ordered online and is supposedly Subaru 'True Blue' - colour code CS31, which is what the WR blue cars have as their internal engine bay colour. At least according the the info I could find online.

Either way, the match is nowhere near. It's not really as purple as it looks in the below picture, but its still not close.

And refitted to the car - see how much darker the paint is.
Oh well, its not actually visible once all back together so it's not a problem. At least it'll keep it corrosion free for the next decade or so!

Other things done.... power steering cooler has been stripped, primered and painted black as it was all chipped, now back on the car. Horns have had the same treatment. Pretty much all fixings are being replaced as I go with shiny new ones.

And bumper refitted yesterday. Well, hung on the car anyway. Have all the plastics clips ordered new from ICP so they'll be getting done and arch liners clipped back up tomorrow hopefully.

Only other stuff done lately.... rusty old front ARB (oem Subaru) is in the bin and new whiteline upgrade fitted. Droplinks were already whiteline adjustables and have just been cleaned up.

Getting there, bit by bit! The struggle now is going to be remembering where everything goes - and where I've put all the bits while they're off the car!