View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Gold Member

Default World Rallycross Championship R4 2018 – Silverstone

I wasn’t planning to go to this event, but I had a last minute offer to get to Silverstone for the second day of racing, so I took it!

Few of my favourite photos:

As well as the fourth round of the World Championship, the event also hosted the first round of the Americas Rallycross Championship. After watching a lot of the GRC coverage the last few years, it was great to see both the SRT USA and Andretti Beetles in action.

None of the drivers in the World Championship are exactly sloppy, but the precision from the two PSRXVW drivers was astonishing. Both Petter Solberg and Johan Kristoffersson were consistently skimming the tyre stack on the inside of this corner lap after lap.

Both the Beetles were fast, but it was Tanner Foust who was marginally quicker and he went on to take the win in the Americas Rallycross Championship final.

Andrew Jordan took a break from commentating to drive an MJP Racing Fiesta. Unfortunately misfortune in the qualifying races dropped him down the standings and he didn’t make the semi finals.

After topping the standings on day one Petter Solberg was one of the favourites for day two. A collision (with his team mate) at the start of the first World Championship semi-final ultimately led to retirement for Solberg. I really hope Petter gets a bit of luck this year, as he is fast enough to take a win!

The jump certainly made for some cool moments, but it claimed a number of victims over the weekend.

No, rear wheel steering is not a permitted modification!

Both the EKS RX Audi S1’s were very quick but, yet again, poor tactics in the final saw both Mattias Ekstrom and Andreas Bakkerud held up. Despite that, the weekend was still the strongest performance from the team this year.

Despite looking a bit battered after the contact with Solberg, the Polo of Johan Kristoffersson was absolutely faultless in the semi-final and final. Kristoffersson took his third win of the year and with it increased his lead in the Championship.

Have to say that I was impressed with the organisation of the event at Silverstone. I think the circuit could do with some tweaks though and the ticket prices really need to come down as I know a lot of people who missed the round for that reason. Hopefully those changes come for next year!