View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

Its been a while since I have updated this thread..... The beast is still going though not running yet unfortunately.... Due to a ton of personal stuff since last August I just haven't had a chance to get anything done on the car.... well nothing significant anyway.... I have all the wiring components now so will get on with that soon.... there are a few other things to address first.... first of which was that I nearly fogot what it actually looked like under here

Now while the car has been sitting.... it became very apparent just how much water gets into the air box. Whilst for a race car this, I belive, is still a very good set up. On the road in this country with our weather.... its just not practical.... Air box fills up, there was water in the compressor cover... and not a small amount.... So I will be moving the turbo position. Still across the back of the engine bay but rotated through 180 degrees to face the other way. The air box will now be located in the more conventional position on the drivers side of the engine bay. A couple of advantages to this new position. The airbox isn't over the one biggest heat source, the engine. There is now a lot more room to run two wastegates as opposed to the one big one which offers mild benefits over the one big single one in terms of boost control. The down pipe will now run over the gearbox and down the passenger side of the engine bay. Currently the down pipe comes off the turbo and goes into an immediate tight 180 degree bend to get back down to meet the exhaust. Now the down pipe will come out the turn in a dear straight line for about 24" before dropping down to meet the system vastly improving flow... So that is in the process before I wire the car...

The electric power steering pump is being ditched as that will be going on my GTR so stock pump will go back on. This was originally removed to make way for the intercooler pipe work which is now being rerouted due to new turbo position...

Given this is becoming a more focused car there has also been a wheel change. They are currently a rather vial chrome but they will be going off to be stripped so I can repaint them.... may keep the purple colour I had on the Rotas but I tempted to go with a real bright red instead.... will see how we go They are still 18X10 I would suggest they are an ET20 as the sit a few mill further in the arch than the rotas but not by much... They also need new rubber as they currently have "stretched" tyres on them so some 265's need to be employed to do that job at some stage.... The reason for the change is they are a lot lighter than the Rotas and will still look pretty cool....

Looking forward the STI 6 wing has been ditched for a Carbon wing. Fortunately I had one laying around so that has been used get an eye in for how that will look. This one isn't quite wide enough so I will be changing this out for the wider Aerokit unit once I have the other bots sorted out which I 10" wider overall than the one fitted.... With aero in mind I have fitted a larger splitter. I also got the cardboard out and had a play with potential canard ideas so fibreglass one to follow soon once I decide what way to go...

Mildly annoying:

I also managed to bag a couple of Sparcos which are considerably lighter than the stock seats...

So really its back on it between other jobs to finally get this thing up and running get it on the road and track and have a laugh in it.... Its been 2years since the engine first popped and is long over due....

Last edited by seventune; 05-01-2017 at 01:46 PM.