View Single Post
Old 18-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greig View Post
Bit of a random
One but my van was remapped and then something went under wart entry
Vw came out replaced the part then he plugged it in and updated the ecu
This has wiped the map off is this possible?
Quite possible Greig.
With some ECU remaps the tool takes the old map off and puts a new map on. The old map is then resident within the tool, usually a hand held device like a superchips bluefin (there a quite a few differnet ones around now).

With this sort of flash, it is always recommended that the owners swaps back to the standard map when the car goes in for a service incase the dealerships decides to upgrade the ECU firmware due to a bug fix.

In theory this may be possible for a Subaru dealer to do, but if the ECU has previously been ECUTEK'd the ECU licence lock will prevent this.

Regarding Lucky's, if it was just an ECU reset then the ECU ignition advance multipler (IAM) will drop to 1/2, therefore only allowing initially 1/2 the ignition advance map so you may be a few degree's down on the max ignition advance.
This would then increase to use the full map if there is no indication of detonation. This can happen quite quickly, especially of if you force it by doing some 1/2 throttle runs upto around 4,500-5,000rpm. I can get mine to rise to max by the time I get to the top of the road.
JGM may of altered the map so that on a reflash/reset the IAM is more then 1/2. Some mappers adjust it some don't. If he did it would be even less noticable after a reset.