Thread: Operation Bug
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Silver Member

Default Operation Bug

Having owned the car for over a year now it's time I made my own mark on the car!

Nige then Greig + his brother had gotten the car to where it was the day I picked it up, 387Bhp and 391ftlb which was a lot of fun!

I did a lot of research in to which direction I wanted to go with the car, not being able to find any decent EJ22 blocks at the right time I had originally planned to get the existing EJ25 Block closed and go from there... However... someone on here who always seems to find quality bits for impreza's pointed this out which was for sale, in very good condition and less than 2 miles from where I lived!

It turned out I knew the chap who was selling it so a few £'s later it was mine!

Had a day off work so borrowed an engine hoist from a friend which unbelievably I managed to fit in my smart car!

After consulting with google I found a couple of guides and managed to pull the engine out from start to finish in approx 4-5 hours which wasn't bad for my first time!

Point to note:-

Make sure everything is disconnected that needs to be ESPECIALLY the clutch fork pin - I went and made a tea and came back and had forgotten to do this which resulted me pulling the engine AND the car backwards and forwards for a while!

Admittedly I know dick all about the internals of engines so I will not be doing any engine work, I will however be doing everything else to the car myself or with a bit of help from people who have the know-how!

Engine is now out and have started to take the heads off. Once this is done the block halves and heads will be sent for some work whilst i sort out new internals then get someone to build the engine for me.

Whilst this is done I will crack on with the bits I can do myself to the car, engine bay will be cleaned up and a few things will be replaced and/or relocated to elsewhere in the car - I will ultimately be going for a de cluttered look in the engine bay.

I am in discussion with a chap who will be custom building a couple of bits for the car which i will post up once they are confirmed and on there way

Still haven't decided on which turbo to go for yet either.

This build is going to take a while due to work commitments etc but I will post up as it takes place!