View Single Post
Old 15-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Default Majorscooby's home wheel refurb

Decided a little while ago that my speedline alloys needed a little tart up as they were looking a little tired but thought id do it at home and give it a bash after reading silversurfers first thread on the same type of job a while back.

Nice touch up job from the previous owner, NOT!

Thanks to the good old winter road salt

Original look

A blooming good wash up was needed

Damaged quite bad and didn't think i could make this good.

A nice rub down with some 240, 400 and 600 grade wet and dry and plenty of wipes over after with some babywipes, a tip that was given too me from silversufer! blooming good too, gets up all the gritty bits.

Next a mask up with some very cheap and useful playing cards.

I used Acid #8 etch primer before the alloy paint. Of course Painting the rear of the wheel first so as no over spray from painting the rear last comes through on to the front. sorry if that was confusing.

Next the satin black paint, Purchased from halfrauds and is actually labelled as stealth black alloy paint.

I actually quite liked this look but its a bit lairy! Wished i had a spinning device or whats know as a dolly to get an even blend and an identical look on each spoke.

And as it stands this eve, STI badges turned up today and im very pleased with how its turned out from just using various grades of wet and dry and a few rattle cans. 1 down 3 to go over the next few days.
Don't think ill lacquer them as im quite pleased with the look and don't want to cock it up,plus it states the paint is chip resistant but time will tell. may put some wheel wax on em to stop the ****e attacking them.
No pics of them on the scoob as yet as i have only just ordered the black wheel nuts and don't want any damage or the grotty ones anywhere near the fresh paint.