View Single Post
Old 17-10-2020, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Can I still justify 2 cars?

As it's a bit quiet on here as nothing is happening just thought I'd start a bit of a discussion.

As most of you know I and a few others amongst us run 2 cars, the daily hack for eating up the commuting miles and family jobs and a Scoob or other toy sat in the garage for weekends and a bit of fun. Since 2012 I've been averaging about 18000 a year in the daily car and about 2000 a year in the Scoob last year the Scoob clocked up a grand total of 696 miles between MOTs, 180 of that was a couple of trips to work and back just to use it, since its MOT in March the Passat has done less than 3000 miles, the DPF has done a couple of re-gens (only noticed one in the previous 70000 miles), the battery has started to struggle due to so many short journeys and it sometimes doesn't move all week, looks like the long term view is that I'll never be back in the office full time and the company are beginning to fund desks, chairs etc for home use.

Question is, do I combine the 2 cars and get something that's a bit more fun as a daily driver as it no longer has to achieve 50mpg with armchair comfort and ride? My biggest issue will be missing an estate car, it's so easy throwing a mountain bike or fishing gear in the back or those trips to IKEA for huge bits of furniture. Obviously in an ideal world I'd buy an RS6 estate or even a Golf R estate but I could never bring myself to spend that kind of money on a car even if I had it and I'd be worried to leave it anywhere or have it sat outside the house.