View Single Post
Old 19-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissyb View Post
Great thread mate, just wondering about the whole balancing proceedure
I think there is alot of myth, smoke and mirrors with regard to balancing. A bit like commercial mappers/tuners.
Besides the Kamak/Kinugawa comes pre-balanced.

All the parts are individually balanced, so they should be pretty close.

However, according to providers of balancing services !!!!! there can be a tolerance build up on the compressor side (they quote that the Turbine side is not effected on an assembled CHRA).
This can be corrected by small amounts of grinding of either the Compressor wheel or Shaft nut.

But this seems to be more of a fine tuning exercise mainly provided to Turbo Charger rebuild/re-manufacturer companies, to ensure that any tolerance stack-up doesn't cause the Turbo to fail prematurely.
I read this as a service that provides confidence that the rebuild will outlast the warranty period that the company supplying the rebuilt/re-manufactured turbo may provide.

Besides any turbo with the slightest nick/bent fin on the compressor will be un-balanced to probably a great degree.

I have found a company offering the service for £50, and have also emailed Turbo Dynamics for a quote.
I would be interested in other peoples view's, especially those that have rebuilt DIY style before.