View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Gold Member

For anyone who enjoyed that first video I found the "proper" coverage of the race online:

http://www.vimeo.com/26125254

Skip to 44:30 (let the video stream before you try to skip forward) to see the crash again and skip to 45:35 to watch the re-run of the A final. I didn't realise from my original video that Isashsen (in the white Focus) was actually running the car on the nearside rim for most of the race: and still holding off the competition!

Bloody good meet, so worth watching the whole video if you have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post
We knew Gollop, John Welsh, Martin Schanche, Mike Shields, Gary Baker, Dimi Mavaropois and the rest of them and we had some awesome weekends.
Schanche and Gollop? I've never heard of them...

Quote:
He done 90K of his own money by selling his electrical company and his house. His wife left him and now he has nothing.
Jesus. I've seen Palmers name in a lot of the older coverage but I didn't realise his rallycross days cleaned him out - or lost him his wife. Dedication to his sport taken too far?

Quote:
These are the real stories behind the "hero's" seen on TV, and there are many other stories like that I could tell you.
Feel free to post more up; I'd happily read more about that era of rallycross!

Quote:
In saying that it was brilliant fun being surrounded in Group B 's
I bet! I think the modern rallycross is brilliant and I do seriously love some of the cars they use today, but I never get bored of watching the DVD's of the late 80's and early 90's racing. Watching (and hearing) a grid full of Group B cars must have been an incredible spectacle; gutted I wasn't old enough to appreciate it at the time!