View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Default Flickr users....

So after Photobucket decided to shaft all of its users last year (or was it the year before??), it looks like Flickr are doing the same.

I've only just heard about this today so I guess if they emailed an announcement, it went to my spam. I know there's a few Flickr users on here so thought i'd post this in case you weren't aware...

Quote:
Flickr was purchased in April by professional photo hosting service SmugMug, and today, the first major changes under the new ownership have been announced. There’s a serious downgrade for free users, who are now limited to 1,000 pictures on the photo sharing site, instead of the free 1TB of storage that was previously offered.

As Flickr explains in its press release announcing the change, “Unfortunately, ‘free’ services are seldom actually free for users. Users pay with their data or with their time. We would rather the arrangement be transparent.” It makes a certain amount of sense — servers aren’t free, after all — but for free users with more than 1,000 photos, it’s not ideal news.
"Starting on February 5th, 2019, free accounts that are over the limit will have their content actively deleted"

Free users with more than 1,000 photos or videos will have until January 8th, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download their surplus content. After January 8th, free users with over 1,000 pictures or videos won’t be able to upload any more. And on February 5th, 2019, free accounts that are still over the limit will have their content actively deleted until they’re back under 1,000 (starting with the oldest content first)
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/1/1...iption-smugmug

Nice.