View Single Post
Old 24-06-2016, 05:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Its interesting that in recent weeks various European politicians have come across quite aggressive with their statements about us being at the back of the queue if we leave etc, in an attempt to scare us into staying.

Now we've left, they're trying to go softly softly, keep things calm. I expect Merkel is cacking it, they're the largest economy left in the EU holding up the likes of Greece, Italy, Portugal etc. It'll only get worse for them if France or Holland call their own referendum, which sounds like it may be on the cards....
They've not been that soft. I heard talk of, "serious consequences" from one of them (I was only half listening). The worry is that the UK is made an example of to try and stave off any others looking to leave.

In terms of "right or wrong" there's no such thing in my opinion. It's not what I wanted. I'm an economist from my degree days and used to work at the Treasury, so that uncertainty is a big no no.

I'm also in professional services now, so need prospering businesses to do well. I am up for a significant milestone promotion in the autumn, so from a very selfish perspective, I'm concerned the uncertainty may scupper the business case. It's been the years in the making, so I'll be a bit miffed.

My wife works in the public sector; that's unlikely to be a great place to be.

My biggest gripe is the way the campaigns were run and the particular irony of today which I've set out:-

1) there were lots of opinions passed off as facts (on both sides). The voting public seemed to buy that, meaning utterly baseless comments were taken as gospel.

Within an hour of the results being settled Farage reneged on the NHS pledge and another chap acknowledged migration wouldn't be successfully curbed.

2) we were told to vote leave to take back control of our country from unelected officials ruling us. This was taken very seriously by some (see 1) above re opinion vs fact. It is a fact that the Commissioners are elected. It is an opinion that the process lacks democracy... which I'm not wholly against as an opinion BTW).

Anyway, within two hours of the results we found out there will be a new PM no later than October... the public will not vote that person in. They will be unelected by my measure.

3) people were told you can't trust experts, especially on the economy. The immediate effect was exactly as the experts, most notably Mark Carney, foretold. He was vilified by leave supporters, yet whose plan and actions have helped enormously to steady the markets today? Yep. Mark Carney and his band of economic experts.

Those for me highlighted the rotten nature of the leave campaign.

Remain ran a poor campaign. Corbyn went deliberately missing which really didn't help.

The more powerful campaign won, but through untruths and appealing to some unpleasant values (in my opinion) to swell the numbers.

I saw some articulate and reasoned arguments for leaving. I don't believe they were what won it though. Bile and hatred played too big a part, together with an overgrown child with ridiculous hair making a power grab.

Sorry.... you did ask...