View Single Post
Old 24-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555_Si View Post
Trouble is the UK will never be a happy, joined in patriotism nation, we've turned into a bunch of moaning, inflated ego, unpolite and selfish race as a whole, that quite frankly when I go abroad are quite embarrassed about.
I think that's very insightful. There is this odd sense of entitlement that runs through British culture and I am not sure where it comes from.

Bit tangential but bear with me. I saw a woman who was on benefits to a significant extent on a documentary (few years back). She was asked why she wouldn't get a job and responded, "I'd do any job as long as it paid me £60k... I'd happily make tea for £60k."

Well, I'd be bored to death, but in principle wouldn't we all be happy with that? A piece of piss job that paid a decent salary.

I know how hard I worked to get to the stage of career where I earned £60k (about when I saw that documentary) and I know the guys who work in my team currently on that money... each does a lot more than make tea.

But that woman had no sense of that, just that she should be entitled to the lifestyle that money brings, not to earn it in any meaningful way; didn't compute.

I could give similar examples with people from each of the traditional "classes" and not just about money, so don't misunderstand me. It's across the board in my opinion.

We're a nation of spoilt brats (as with you, you can judge if I fit the profile ).

Perhaps this referendum will bring back some of the positive, "stiff upper lip" traits, or some new ones, that are worthy of national pride. I won't hold my breath...