View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

Default World Rallycross Championship R5 2017 – Lydden Hill

I have been both looking forward to and dreading this event, as it had been announced several months ago that the World Rallycross Championship would be moving to Silverstone for it's UK round next year.

Took some pictures (of course), here are a few of my faves:

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of rallycross there were a number of classic rallycross cars on display. All were great to see, but it was the Group B cars that really drew the crowds.

Dan Rooke was hoping to improve on his second position in Mettet…

…but no one could touch defending RX2 Champion Cyril Raymond, who utterly dominated the class over the weekend.

Defending Touring Car champion Ben-Philip Gunderson has had a pretty poor start to the year and things looking more promising on the Saturday.

Gunderson was unable to match the day two pace though, and the Touring Car win went the way of Lars Oivind Enerberg.

Sadly Championship regular Guy Wilks was unable to progress beyond the semi-final stage, as was Andrew Jordan who was guest driving one of the Team Austria Fiestas for the weekend.

Petter Solberg won every race he competed in with the exception of one, which was won by his PSRXVW teammate Johan Kristoffersson. The Polos looked very fast at Lydden and only Bakkerud in the Focus seemed able to challenge them.

Managing to save three new tyres for the semi-finals, Petter won his semi and went on to take the final as well. His team mate made it a PSRXVW 1-2 which was the perfect result for the team and consequently knocked Mattias Ekstrom off the top of the Championship standings.

Rather sad that this was the last time the World Championship will be at Lydden in the foreseeable future, but it was a brilliant send off and there wasn’t another driver I’d rather see win more than Solberg. I hope we see the World Championship return there one day!