View Single Post
Old 17-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

After obtaining a used Superchips Bluefin from an Audi S3 and getting it reset by Superchips (£225 Vs £399) I managed to flash a Superchips remap into the K1 on Friday.

I was quite sceptical as I had tried to use Superchips before on my 120PS Audi A4 and had mixed results. But I thought, as the TFSi engine in the K1 is the same as the GTi ED30 and the S3 that there must be a bigger market out there and hence the Superchip Bluefin remap should be quite well proven.

The fact that they also so a Stage 1, 2 and 3 hints that there has been a fair amount of development.

The Stage 1 remap takes the 240ps (stock) up by 44BHP.
On their dyno/development car it actually recorded 245BHP stock and 297BHP at Stage 1.

Having just performed some before and after logging and using the 'rule of thumb' to convert MAF g/s to BHP mine has increased between 42-47BHP dependant on which log I look through.
So it stacks up well against the Superchips website.

It now drives even better and more usable torque at part throttle but not too aggressive on the FWD at lower revs/part throttle.

I'm really pleased with how it drives and with the window down while logging this evening the exhaust rush/woosh at high rpm was making me giggle like a girl.

Added Bonus :
I've had a slight knocking after a cold start and part boost/throttle at 2000-2500rpm, that I was putting down to the intake cam adjustment tensioner bouncing until primed/warmed. It sounded like the kind of knock you can get from an oil filled tensioner plunger when they are starting to get weak, but it just seemed to last too long for it to be that.
The strange thing was it would disappear once almost upto temperature (about 70 DegC), to the point I could tell exactly if it would make the noise by checking the level of the temp gauge. I was therefore starting to think it was a cold start/warm-up running parameter issue i.e running slightly different intake cam or fuel mixture or ignition timing during the warm up period.
The bonus is that this noise seems to of disappeared. I've tried my hardest to replicate it and if it is still there it's so very quite I'm struggling to hear it, even with the radio and air-con off.
So my guess is they applied the same map changes to all maps (sometimes there are multiple maps for the same thing but with subtly different parameters, and conditions of use. Even those with decoding knowledge don't know what/when each map is used, so a blanket change is applied). Or maybe they took Golf/Audi parameters which in the base map are subtly different to the SEAT parameters...who knows. It may be more by luck than judgement but this has improved my issue. Fingers crossed it doesn't return.

Stage 2 is the next option and I have already spoken to Superchips about this during the 'reset' process. In fact I was so pleased with the Stage 1 performance I initially thought they had loaded Stage 2 onto the hand controller by default.
As the CEL eventually came on over the weekend, to warn of poor catalyst efficiency (No ****-Sherlock, it's on my garage floor), this confirmed it's a stage 1 map.

Stage 2 will therefore be going on some time later this week.

For Info :
Power-2-Weight of a 276BHP WRX STi (Newage) = 188BHP/Tonne
Power-2-Weight of a 294BHP Cupra K1 = 214BHP/Tonne
So you can see why I'm happy in my family/daily