View Single Post
Old 19-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Regular User

the procedure for checking the atf level is as follows:
1. car on level ground.
2. start the engine (leave running throughout).
3. apply footbrake (keep applied throughout).
4. select reverse once it engages select drive and let it engage do this all the way to 1st gear with footbrake applied.
5. after you have selected 1st select neutral and leave engine running.
6. check atf level.

the upper full marker is for hot fluid and the lower is for cold fluid, (do not check it with the engine off because the dip level will be wrong). if the atf level is below the lower full marker then there is a good chance that you have burnt out the front clutch set like i did with mine if it was whining it could have also chewed the shim in the centre diff transfer from lack of oil as mine also did, hopefully its just a case of old fluid and sticky solenoids in the box. try some fresh atf in the box and hope for the best because the impreza auto boxes are very rare and hard to get hold of as i have found out, they are different to other subaru auto boxes because the impreza one has a vtd (variable torque distribution) centre diff that is a 45/55 (permanent) split (45% drive to the front and 55% to the rear) and 50/50 on wot. i doubt the front diff would be a problem as it is a slip diff so it shouldnt "wind up", the auto boxes are supposedly meant to be able to withstand a maximum of 400 horses because they have stronger gearsets. hope this helps all the best. nearly forgot, get some fresh atf and give it a sniff then smell the atf on the dip if it smells burnt and is brown then it will definately be a nackered box.

Last edited by rogos; 19-07-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: forgot some info.