View Single Post
Old 16-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Gold Member

Default World Rally Championship R12 2019 - Wales

After being thoroughly impressed with the latest generation of WRCars last year, I had to get myself back to Wales for more of the same.

As with last year my main focus was spectating rather than photography but, as I packed the camera, I took a few snaps…

Ott Tanak arguably lost the Championship here last year, but he was absolutely committed and took the win plus maximum points on the power stage.

Following two passes from the International (World Championship) field, the National cars had a single run on the stage. Unfortunately the Subaru ex-WRCars had all retired by that point, but there were still a few Scoobs in the mix.

Oliver Solberg made his first WRC appearance at Wales. He had a lot of speed, but was plagued with mechanical gremlins and dropped out of the event Saturday morning, which was a massive shame.

Thierry Neuville has come to close to the title on a number of occasions and this year looks to see him do the same again. I like Neuville but, personally, don’t feel he is consistent enough to be a deserving Champion.

I daresay that none of the current specification cars are going to win any beauty contests, but it is the Fiesta that is my favourite looking car: the aero is very reminiscent of the E2 quattro.

Craig Breen rolled his i20 on his first pass through Myherin, but carried on the rest of the day in a rather second hand looking Hyundai.

While his son competed in WRC for the first time, Petter Solberg made his final WRC appearance at Rally GB, where he won the WRC2 class…

…but the fastest WRC2 car of the weekend was Kalle Rovanpera. Kalle is only 19 and already very rapid. Rumour has it he will be moving the top class next year.

Elfyn Evans was the home favourite but unfortunately clattered a rock early in the event. He was absolutely on it Saturday morning and set a number of fastest stage times. Damn shame he wasn’t able to challenge for the win.

It was a very long day, but definitely worth the drive. Few more pictures here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57711360717498

If you want to see any more!