View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Well after some thought I think for the short term I'm going to revert back to Stage 1.

The additional boost in the mid-range is a little aggressive on the clutch and TBH I'm not over keen on the overboost I'm seeing as boost spools (shoots to 1.6bar and settles at 1.2/1.3bar). For Stage 2 or 2+ it may be better to get a custom R-Tech map.

I did try to get Superchips to address this whilst they sorted out my CEL for the Catalyst, but recent logging shows that this overboost is still there.

Comparing Stage 1 and Stage 2, there's a fair bit more boost at 4,000rpm on the Stage 2 mainly due to the overboost, but it is mapped to target 1.3bar at this rpm.
Stage 1 is a more linear rise with 1.2bar not reached until 4800rpm.
Above 5000rpm there's very little in it,with less than 0.1 bar difference and only 5g/s additional peak airflow.

Logging 3rd gear acceleration times and comparing plots also backs this up and shows minimal, almost invisible differences in the time it takes to run through the 3rd gear pull.

Doing the maths on the Stage 2 difference using the MAF airflow calculation, from a BHP perspective, only see about a 6BHP gain.
Superchps claim about a 25BHP increase, but in my case I'm already decat, so this probably gives additional BHP narrowing the gap between Stage 1 and Stage 2.

So despite having a good slug of extra torque on the Stage 2, the total BHP increase is not something the 'bum-ometer' is likely to detect.

On Stage 2 you really have to be sure your foot is off the clutch around the 4,000-4,500rpm mark.
When the boost/torque kick in it will slip if your resting your foot on the pedal or between gear changes. Hence you have to be sure your foot is well off the pedal.
A full gear pull without touching the pedal is fine. So my assumption is the OE clutch (0n 68,000 miles) really needs all the clamping force it can get to cope with the torque (probably around 320-340ftlb).

Therefore in the interest in preserving the clutch (£800 plus fitting for Helix Organic and DMF) and turbo I'll drop back to Stage 1.
If I do decide to go Stage 2/2+ or am forced to go for a new clutch I may switch to a custom map with all the added pops/bangs from R-Tech.