View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 PM
worzel

Default True Colours Lamborghini Gallardo Detail

This weekend, True Colours took on their first of many supercar details, when we did a 40+ man hour job on a Lamborghini Gallardo. The car was delivered on Friday afternoon meaning we could get a nice early 7.00am start on it.

Eager to get on with the job, we all arrived by 6.45am, after the initial setting up of equipment and making a nice steamy brew we set to the car with gusto. First job was a light angled rinse, followed by a nice blanket of snowfoam.

After leaving to dwell for 10-15 mins, this was rinsed. We then washed the car with sheepskin mitts using a 2 bucket system. Once this was done and rinsed we set about claying the car. This picture is after the claying process.

After the claying it got one more final tango rinse and then microfibre dried, then it was time to reverse into the unit and tape up ready for machining.

Martyn was tasked with the wheels, brakes, callipers and arches, while Ron cracked on with a medium white pad cut. While this was happening I was getting on with the under bonnet clean (remembering the bonnet is actually the boot on a Lambo), so that the cut process could get half a car ahead of my orange pad light/medium polish.

After the bonnet (boot) was hoovered out, cleaned and blacked trim glazed, it was time for me to follow round with the orange pad polish.

With the half car gap between Ron and myself of process & buff, we continued round the car in a clockwise direction, with Rons next process being the BH glaze with orange pad and mine being a CGA Gloss Enhancer with orange pad. All this time, Martyn was cleaning each wheel, suspension, brakes and arches to a good as new shine. Discovering that the alloys on this Lambo are speedlines, which we didn't expect. It was then a case of the first coat of Swissvax Mirage Wax and buffing off.

After all of these processes and a few visitors dropping in, we moved onto some of the finer detail items, including removing the rear exhaust cans and surrounds to clean and polish. cleaning and glitzing the the black trim all around the car and glass. Treating the exterior glass and finally treating the soft top roof with a neutral PH cleaner & hoovering the interior mats and carpets.

That was day 1 finished at 6.30pm with just a 20 minute break for lunch.

Day 2 started at a more leisurely time of 8.00am. Another steamy mug of splosh was taken on board and we got started. Ron & Martyn went straight onto engine clean duty, once we had worked out how to get boot up in the air sufficiently to get in there. I jumped into the interior to brush, treat and clean and polish. When Martyn had finished he jumped onto the second coat of Swissvax Mirage while Ron went onto the front black lower trim.

After this, Ron treated the leather seats while I buffed the final coat of wax off, it was then a final go over the car to give it a last inspection.

It was then ready at 11.30 to go outside for a few photographs. It was a real shame that the sky was so flat and grey, as this does not lead to the best photographing scenario really, but I think you can see from these pics what we were able to achieve over the 2 days.