View Single Post
Old 14-08-2021, 12:01 PM
Bronze Member

Hello Asperformance, sorry for the delay I am with a lot of work in my workshop, regarding my answer, my translation from my native language to English was perhaps not good. What I comment here is not a problem, it is rather, a discomfort. The situation of passage of gears, the comfort of use, personally I notice something wrong. With Motul Gear 300 75w90 when placing it I mistakenly thought that this would make the gearbox softer and more comfortable to use, which was not the case. Disappointed with this situation, I decided to consult, read a lot everywhere and I find myself with the situation that there are comments from users who claim that a semi-synthetic oil can make the synchronizers "bite" better, braking better and giving a smoother or better handling...or a passage of changes more comfortable. I understand and I dedicate myself to mechanics, so I can when handling my box assume that my problem (if I can call it that it really is not) is that the synchronizers are not braking as fast as I would like, it is my perception Now ... the solution may be to choose a more suitable oil. As the density recommended by SUBARU is 75w90, it is not a viable option in my opinion to use another, another point, it recommends API GL5 therefore I stay in that standard, ok then what is left for me to try? Other brands with their "magic" additive packages and listening to the Subaru user experience, which for me is a fundamental point since, in the end, the user is the one who ends up having the complete driving experience in real life. I am open to comments and recommendations and that is why I created this thread, something worn perhaps for other users, but as in this group I see that little is said but what is spoken is rich in information, I consider it appropriate.
In short, I would like to feel the box softer and faster between changes. I clarify and it is no less important to say that my box is in very good condition, it was never opened and it has 54,000 km of use. Always with the OEM Subaru Oil until I didn't get more and had to change the brand, (that's when I chose to go for what I consider the most top and chose Motul Gear 300 series). Another point my gearbox has never been grinding with any oil tested so far.

I used Motul Motyl 75w90 Semi Synthetic, I don't like it either and I notice that the previous one (Motul Gear 300 75w90 100% Synthetic) worked better.

Finally and excuse the length of the answer, I have in hand the Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75w90 API GL4&5 100% Synthetic, which next week I will test and comment if there is any change in this situation either for better or for worse.

If with the latter I do not get what I am looking for, it is because I ask too much of a Gearbox that maybe it is already like that and I will never have a passage of changes as good and comfortable as my old Honda and my old but legendary Toyota Corolla AE101.

Greetings!

Last edited by viper1982; 14-08-2021 at 12:23 PM.