Thread: Practice
View Single Post
Old 23-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl.k View Post
Hi all,

I've often thought over the last few months how do peoples pride and joy appear exceptionally shiney. My cars are clean as I've often been anal about keeping them clean. But how do you get that deep, sharp shine. I know how to polish metal, as I've done a lot of that in the past polishing to microns and very tight tolerances by hand with different grades of diamond paste. But a car is very differnet. So I found the detailing site in one of these threads, which I found really helpful mentioning different products and what order to use them in. Unfortunatly I was brought up from an old generation shown to clean a car with a bucket of water, some fairy liquid and a sponge that touched every surface. So before I let my self lose on my Subaru, I had a go on my Alfa 156. The pictures don't show the whole car just some panels I had a go at. I haven't spent out on a DA polisher.... yet! I was amazed by what the clay bar pulled out, even though I thought the car was clean. The finish you see is elbow greese on a silver 9 year old car with original paint after buying the following and using in the below order:

1. Rinse with hose.
2. Meguiars Gold Shampoo in bucket and new sponge, wash.
3. Rinse with hose.
4. Meguiars clay bar and detailer.
5. Rinse with hose after each panel.
6. Dry with clean micro fibre towel.
7. Apply Turtle wax polish paste with Microfibre applicator.
8. Polish off with Micro fibre towel.
9. (The Turtle wax was polish not wax, so still researching what wax to use?)

Cheers for looking, comments welcome.

Darryl.k
Depends how far your willing to go mate, you really need some sort of machnine polisher either a DA or rotary, you cant really go wrong with a DA but you can really damage the paint with a rotary, clay barring is a good start but youll still be left with marring, swirl marks and rds, then the polish depend on what type it is will just fill them in so youll get a nice finish but once the polish has worn away theyll be back,

Have a look at this detail i did mate should give you an idea

http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ead.php?t=4250

Best example i can give is chunks bonnet, it was totally faded and really badly oxidised in places and looked like it needed a respray but i had a go with my DA and it brought it back to life and made it look like new