View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 12:47 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post

It sure is. Most of the photos i take are at motorsport related events and i've only found a few times where i wished i had more than 300mm zoom. No idea what that is in terms of 10x digital zoom though! More commonly, I find that i take a pic of the object in the 150-250mm range and continue to take photos as it gets closer - but then i hit the 70mm limit and it ends up too close (i'm talking rally pics etc here!). Having a 28-300mm lens would solve this, but its a bit more money.

I've only got the entry level DSLR from Canon (about £400 with the 18-55mm kit lens) and since then i've only bought one more lens - the Sigma 70-300mm.

http://www.parkcameras.com/3487/Sigm...anon-fit-.html

I managed to get it from Park Cameras for £99 and for that kind of money, its an absolute bargain.
Thats the same zoom lens I started with, it does a bloody good job too, as Steve's Rally pics show

My only negative thing with the lens is that it tended to "hunt" a bit. When it does focus (on auto focus that is) it does it spot on.

I couldn't recommend Park Camera's enough either, I have been using them pretty much exclusively since I started and have bought at least 90% of my stuff through them, it's only ancillories that I shop around for as a rule, Memory / filters / batteries etc.