Thread: My new 2016 STI
View Single Post
Old 24-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Formerly Taomyn

I added a few new pictures to album, see first thread for link, after I went for a blast around the countryside yesterday. It was Luxembourg's national day so off work, and as it was such a nice day (sunny and 30+), I thought I would go out and find a spot to take a few pictures. I also needed something new to replace the picture of my old WRX I have on my bank debit card. Unfortunately it had rained on Monday so the car wasn't as clean as I'd like but it didn't deter me. I found somewhere with a nice view and took some shots.

As for the car itself, some more insights:
  • Gearbox+Clutch - I'm finding it frustrating as I can't seem to drive it smoothly especially at slow speeds and even more on uneven roads. I don't find it easy to keep on the power smoothly with the car jarring me around. I don't recall this problem when I drove the test 2015 STI. Maybe it's because it's still new, but I had the same problems with the old WRX just nowhere near as bad, so maybe it's me and I'm basically "crap". My worst times is when I get home as I park under my apartment block, and the ramp I have to drive up to get to my parking area is quite steep with a sharp turn - if I go too slowly the car almost stalls and if I go too quickly it can bottom out on the top lip of the ramp. I never had this with the WRX.

It's steeper than it looks!
  • Parking and general size of car - that at least is good news as I think I'm pretty much accustomed to the different size of the car, but that's not to say I'm still not being overly cautious everywhere I go. I really do go out of my way to find a parking space that is a) easy, b) away from everyone else - the excercise is good for me I'm also managing to park up nice on my ramp at home.

Sometimes I get closer
  • Mobile phone holder - seeing as the satnav is next to useless (I'm still waiting on the dealer for this), I've been trying out various different phone holders and after many different types I have settled on one that uses one of the air vents (the right-hand centre one to be precise). This wasn't my first choice but nothing else has worked well. I have a Nexus 6 phone which is quite large and heavy so that is a factor. I tried windscreen mounts, but no matter where I placed it the phone just wobbled too much making it difficult to see and to use. I tried the same suction mount but on a plastic disk I stuck to the dash - that lasted all of two days before it came unstuck. I then tried a CD mount as it was something I would never need to use and placement was pretty good. Unfortunately I became a bit nervous as the audio unit is a single piece of glass and I was worried it would put too much pressure on the slot (the mechanism you insert expands to provide the grip) and potentially cause it to crack down the line. That would not be cheap to fix. So a vent one was my only success but not your simple push in type as I tried one of those and my phone would not fix in its grips. I had one from a long time back that has an extendable hook and a small padded part that it rests against (can't describe every well) - this is very sturdy and I think is putting less pressure on the vent.