View Single Post
Old 26-09-2020, 12:09 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

So, the replacement engine....

Shiny bits...

I checked a few things over and decided to replace the modine seal as that's failed on my scoob before. For £7 its a lot easier to do it now and clean everything up.

Old seal doesn't look great.

Cleaned, seal replaced and back together.

So, onto the removal of my old engine. I've done a fair bit of reading online and it seems there's nothing you can't learn on Youtube these days. I found a channel by some US guy who goes through every single step to pull a newage engine, which helped with advice and the best order to do things in.
https://www.youtube.com/c/SubaruONLY/videos
I know some of you can do this with your eyes closed but watching the process on youtube gave me the confidence that I wasn't going to screw up!

Anyway, this is where we started...

Battery, washer fluid bottle, air box etc removed, coolant dropped and radiator out. Then onto the crankshaft pulley bolt - which was seriously tight! I'd read online that it was easier to remove whilst the engine was still bolted down, and to use the old aux belt wrapped around the alternator to stop the crankshaft from spinning. Worked in the end

You can see the general condition of the old engine. Surface rust, grime. Not terrible, and it worked fine - but just looked a bit tatty.