Thread: New oil burner
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Well, went and looked at the diesel legacy this afternoon. Great condition, interior pretty spotless and visually just the sort of thing i'm after.

Shame about the engine though. Never driven a boxer diesel before but its a bit strange. It really lacks the low down torque you expect from a 2.0 diesel, and needs to be driven more like a petrol engine. Peak torque seems to be 3000-4000rpm which would be OK other than it runs out of puff at 4500rpm. Not at all like the french/ford/vauxhaul diesels i've had/used before which all have peak torque much lower down. As a result, the boxer diesel needs to work the gearbox a bit harder, changing down a gear when you normally wouldn't need to.

Other problem...the engine's reliability. I need to look into this further but general concensus is the failure rate of the pre-2010 boxer diesels is too high. This one sounded fine when starting cold, but had a strange noise coming from low down in the engine when hot after the test drive. Not a knock as such, but definitely didn't sound quite right.

If it'd been a petrol engine in it, it'd be bought already...