Thread: Brake options
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2018, 08:28 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Sounds like you had fun at Brands

Depends what Neil is quoting for - Godspeed sell a range of discs/pads so it might just be a like-for-like swap if you've warped your current discs. When I was running the same brakes as you on track, I'd boil the brake fluid easily too so some fresh fluid/bleed was required - the fluid in the hoses nearest the caliper came out black! I'd make sure that is done if you get Neil to swap discs/pads.

In terms of that Godspeed kit for £550, I would avoid. Better off going down the brembo route as there's a better selection of disc/pad options available in the future. However... I think brembos may foul your 17" wheels.

If you don't want to swap the wheels, then I'd go for a 330mm 8pot ksport kit. But moving to 18" wheels options up a load of options. It really depends on your budget and how much more you intend to track the car in the future. In a nutshell, you'll likely run into the same problems on track even with upgraded discs/pads in your current calipers, as they just can't dissipate the heat generated on track with a heavy car like the newage scoobs. I tried quite a few options and threw good money after bad before deciding on the 8 pot ksport kit. With that, I've never had fade on track even with frequent 120mph+ stops.
I did have a great day!

I guess Neil is quoting for like-for-like, as I told him I'd like to upgrade from standard set-up. I thought my discs were warped when we initially discussed, so it was more of an immediate fix instead of a planned change. Following the track day I'm pretty happy with the brakes to be honest. At least for now.
But I'll be changing my brake fluid to something better hopefully ASAP.

I will speak to Neil again and see if he reckons the STI brembos would foul my 17's. I will investigate options if they will, as I want to swap to gold rims anyway, so could find something that works.
Do the 330mm 8pot Ksports fit in 17's??? I thought 330mm would be too big. If not, then probably that's what I should go for. I take it the main difference between the Brembo's and Ksport's is the price?

Most important lesson I think, is to do proper cool-down laps..

Last edited by georgehawkins27; 28-03-2018 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Mistakes!