View Single Post
Old 13-06-2018, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecB View Post
The issue at high speed is not really engine temps but inlet temps.

As Steve says the scoop (especially the bugeye) is ineffective over about 100mph ad the air flow is lifted above it by the front of the car and as a result the TMIC loses efficiency. As the inlet temps increase this leads to a higher chance of detonation which if severe can quickly destroy valves, pistons, rods and bearings!

I'd look at possibly adding an STI scoop as a minimum and ideally an STI intercooler & undertray.

Oil temps need monitoring as well - Millers quote the CFS Nano as suitable for operating up to 125 centigrade with a peak of 150 centigrade. Running too hot too long will cause the oil to start to break down and you could risk bearing failure or worse. - consider an temp gauge and possibly even an oil cooler.
I am having the sti7 scoop painted as we speak. The wrx version is poor.
this being my 1st wrx spec car im trying to look into solutions to help pre long the life of the bearings. as unsure on the less strength these short blocks have compared to my previous sti models.
A gauge or cooler could be something else i need to think about.
I am going to put a new rad in too with hoses then i know the cooling systems is all in top health, the car is on stock map /cats etc so it is very under powered which should help and im not a high speed nutter either.

What caused your bug to fail at the ring?